Bastia Cap Corse
Bastia : Bastia : view port - Northern Corsica
Bastia Cap Corse
Marinella Beach - Cap Corse
Bastia Cap Corse
Erbalunga Beach - Cap Corse
Bastia Cap Corse
Corsican Village : edge of sea - Cap Corse

Macinaggio

Macinaggio, the divided in two parts town : Macinaggio/Rogliano

The town of Macinaggio is a bicephalous commune: Macinaggio/Rogliano.

It is in the department of Upper Corsica in the western part of Cap Corse.

The marina of Rogliano, which is a district in the municipality of Centuri, is located at the entrance to a site of Natura 2000 - a European network of nature protection areas.

This includes the islands of Finochiarola and the “Domaine de la Casinca”.

It is the second largest territory of Cap Corse (2670ha) after Luri.

A few numbers about Macinaggio


Population of Centuri: 549 inhabitants (FNISES 2009 Sources)
Harbour: 600 sport rings (1st of Cap Corse)
Number of Hamlets of the Town: 9
Its coast: 13km

Transport for Macinaggio


Macinaggio has no airport and no port, just a marina.
The town is then accessible from the airport and port of Bastia.

History of Macinaggio/Rogliano


The port of Macinaggio was built in the north of the old Roman port and was called Tamina in ancient times.
A Genovese tower, now destroyed, protected Macinaggio and its warehouses from the 16th to the 19th century.
Pascal Paoli besieges this tower in 1761.
At the end of the 18th century, only administrators, customs officers and soldiers live here – the sailors and merchants live in Macinaggio, where they have their commercial warehouses.

In 1794 the Corsicans, with the help of the British, liberate the town of Macinaggio from French occupation.

In 1859 a road between Bastia and Macinaggio is built.


The port of Macinaggio was scene of many landings on the island :
- The landing of Pascal Paoli in 1790 after 21 years of exile
- The landing of Napoleon Bonaparte in 1793
- The landing of the Generals Gentile and Casalta in 1796, who drove the British out of Corsica
- The landing of the Empress Eugenie (wife of Napoleon III) on her return from the inauguration of the Suez Canal in 1869.

Macinaggio prospers at the end of the 19th century, thanks to its shipyards that build sailboats and other small boats.

Cultural and Natural Heritage of Macinaggio/Rogliano


Genovese Towers (16th Century) with:
-Quercioli
Bettolacce
Tour Barbara Da Mare
Sant’ Agnellu Church ( 16th century and extended in the 18th century ) in the town-centre of Rogliano.
The Sentier des Douaniers (customs officers trail) – a protected and preserved natural site going from Macinaggio to Centuri.
The port of Macinaggio
Ruins of 2 castles
Ruins and sites of: Castelacciu San Colombano - Castellu

Specificities of Macinaggio/Rogliano


From time to time the “Sentier des Douaniers” trail follows the coastline of Macinaggio/Rogliano:

It begins after the marina and goes all the way to the lovely beaches of Tamarone and the islands of Finocchiarola, via the protected natural sites of Santa Maria di A Capella, the beaches of Cala Genovese and Cala Francese, the natural site of Capandula and the towers of Agnellu and Barcaghu.